The SilverLakes Community Association was established in 1990. From the opening of Brittany Bay in 1991 to the opening of Pelican Isle in 1998, SilverLakes has been one of the premier communities in Broward County. Consisting of 5,186 homes and 319 commercial parcels, in approximately 2,400 privately owned acres of beautifully maintained parks, lakes, and wetlands, SilverLakes is one of the largest and most desirable communities in Broward County.
SilverLakes is a community with deep roots in environmental recovery and renewal. The SilverLakes community was developed on a former limestone mine site. According to the developer, when the development began, “The lakes were blackish brown, the wetlands were stripped away, and the shore land consisted mainly of blasted white rocky hardpan. With the property in such poor condition, our prevailing order of business had to be to get the property back in harmony with nature”.
To accomplish this monumental task, over half of the community’s initial 1200 acres were set aside for natural areas. That included 750 acres of lakes and waterways, 276 acres of replanted wetlands, 30 miles of shoreline, 19 mini-parks and 3 large parks.
For a trip down memory lane and a look at SilverLakes roots please visit the SilverLakes Legacy page.